Saturday, May 1, 2010

My Sister's Recipe ~ Egg Bake ~ My Way!


OK I know it sounds kind of funky but trust me, it is so good & this is one recipe that can be made ahead of time!


The very first time I ever tried this recipe was on the morning of my wedding day! The minute I got up at my mom's I just knew I wanted to be with my sister (who was at her house the next town over trying to entertain some wedding guests who were staying with her).


Even though I was so nervous I could not possible imagine myself eating BUT I did!


With a few trail & errors of my own from my sister's recipe, I finally found something that works for me! She uses sausage, I use ham. She uses less bread, I use more. I use bacon and she uses none and she cooks hers in less time while mine is in the oven much longer.


There is really no wrong or right way to make this...it is all about what you like and how well you like it cooked!


And as you can see from the photo above, we like ours cooked very well!


So with out keeping you any longer ~ here is a combination of my sister, Lisa's recipe and mine!


ingredients:

1 pound of shaved/or chopped cooked deli ham (I like Boar's Head Deluxe Ham but make sure it is on sale when you get it)


7 slices of Bread (any choice of bread you prefer)


8 beaten eggs


2 1/2 cups of milk (use at least 2%)


2 Tblsp of dry mustard


3 cups of grated cheddar cheese
and


2oz of Hormel Real Bacon Bits


First ~ break up those 7 slices of bread into small bit size pieces and than add them to a greased a 9x13 glass baking dish (I use cooking spray to grease my pan). Add ham to dish. Beat eggs, milk & dry mustard. Once beaten add that to baking dish. Top with cheddar cheese and bacon bits. Cover in tin foil and refrigerate over night. The next day cook while still covered on 375 degree preheat oven for 35 minutes than uncover and cook another 40 minutes. Once cooked, let it stand about 5 minutes than it is ready to serve!
It is really that easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment