Monday, May 10, 2010

Direct from My Grandmother's Kitchen...Roasted Tomatoes!



Sorry about the photo here but my family attacked them as soon as they came out of the oven...
Direct from my grandmother's Lena kitchen is this recipe for Roasted Tomatoes!
Can you believe that growing up I never like them? What was I thinking? Just look at them ~ sigh...


Anyway, I can remember my grandmother making these truly delicious tomatoes every summer after visiting our local farm market. As I stated earlier, I never even tried these tomatoes until I was in my twenty's and it was after that first bite, I was hooked! This was my request almost every single summer day for my grandmother to make...just for me!


As the years past and I started cooking for my own family, I had my grandmother time & time again, show me exactly how she made her roasted tomatoes ~ for there is really no recipe only ingredients used once again. As the years past and my grandmother became unable to cook, I stepped up and took her spot in making her signature roasted tomatoes!


Preheat oven to 375 degree
Using very ripe tomatoes (how many you want), clean out stem area and cut into halves...


In a glass baking dish, cover the bottom with a layer of vegetable oil. Once oil is in the dish, place the tomatoes cut side facing up.


Now comes the layering...


Sprinkle salt over each tomato...than add some minced garlic to the cut halves, layer bread crumbs, than add fresh chopped parsley, pepper and grated Italian cheese.


Drip vegetable oil over the top of each topped tomato and cover with tin foil.


Cook in heated over ~ covered ~ for 35 minutes (depending on the size and how ripe your tomatoes are) and ~ uncovered for another 35 minutes until top of tomatoes start getting brown.


Your cooking time may vary due to the size of the tomato and once again how ripe they are. My grandmother used beefsteak tomatoes while I use ripe vine tomatoes (which are a bit smaller but much more tastier).

No comments:

Post a Comment