Monday, May 3, 2010

My Aunt Jean's Wimpees ~ well almost!


You'll never guess how I came across this recipe ~ never!

You know how you have some people who never tell you their secrets...I mean cooking secrets? Well, my Aunt Jean is kind of that way. If you asked her how she made something, you tended to get the short verizon of the recipe...yes this is my Aunt Jean. See my Aunt Jean and I worked together at a children's day care center many years ago. She was the cook (and had been for many, many years) while I was a preschool teacher's aid. One day, my Aunt Jean needed to take the day off and guess who was going to be placed in her kitchen ~ yep ~ it was me! And seeing how I didn't know a thing about cooking let alone something Aunt Jean made on a daily basis, I had to ask her for some advise. She told me not to worry for she was leaving me her wimpee recipe! At the time, I wasn't too excited, but something inside of me told me to make a copy of that recipe which I did and still have to this day (almost 10 years later...)

So from that I give you this. A recipe that has only been slightly changed ~ by yes yours truly!

ingredients:

4 lbs of ground beef

2 medium onions ~ chopped

2 Tblsp of mustard

2 cups of ketcup

1 cup of water

2 bottles of Hunt's Chili Sauce

and

salt, pepper and onion powder to taste

In a large frying pan, cook ground meat and chopped onion while adding salt & pepper along with some onion powder to taste. Once full cooked, drain off grease and place flavored mixture in crock pot. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Cook on high for about 4 hours ~ stirring every now & than. It is truly that easy and one recipe that is easy to freeze for a later date!

Thanks Aunt jean for your amazing recipe! While adding less water, more chili sauce, a bit more mustard & onion powder, and cooking it in a crock pot ~ this recipe is mainly yours and it is a family favorite of ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment